Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Final Stretch

Just two more full days in California and then we are on our way! Yesterday we made our way to my grandmother's house in Vista by way of the USDA Veterinary Services office in LA to get an endorsement on Pumpkin's Vet Certificate.

Today we are in San Diego taking care of some last minute details like picking up our plane tickets and my government passport and visa. Maybe its just me not being used to government travel, but I was a bit nervous that I didn't have these things in hand until today - three days before we are supposed to leave!

Now that our errands for the day are done we are sitting in one of our favorite San Diego coffee houses, Twiggs. Not only do they make good coffee and great pastries, they are right around the corner from where we used to live.

We spent the last week in SLO and really enjoyed our time there. I love that place. Hopefully, one day, I'll live there again. It is so beautiful, espcially in the fall. The air is crisp in the mornings and evenings, and the days are full of the warmth of indian summer.

In the last week we've been busy making last minute preparations to leave for Sicily, exploring SLO county and spending time with my family.

On Friday we met up with my cousin for Sushi and had a really good time.

Adam and Les enjoying Sake Bombs


Post Sake Bomb Happy Faces


Saturday evening started with a trip up to Paso Robles for an open house at a custom home that my Dad worked on. It was one of the most amazing homes I have ever seen!

The Sitting Room


Sculptures "Scaling" the Wall


Looking through the Living Room to the Terrace and the Amazing View


The View from the Terrace


After the open house we drove through the hills to the coast and went up to Hearst Castle. We took a 6:10P evening tour, which was a new side of the castle that I hadn't seen. It had been many years since I was up there and I'm glad I got the opprotunity to go again.

Sunset on the Castle


Outdoor Pool






Mr. Hearst's Study


Indoor Pool


Leaving SLO was hard, a lot harder than I expected. Saying goodbye, or rather, "see you later", to my brother, grandparents and the rest of my family was really hard to do. I'm not looking forward to the goodbyes coming on Saturday morning. I am, however, looking forward to family and friends visiting us in Sicily. You promised you would!!!

No comments: