Monday, October 01, 2007

The Mom-Daughter Adventure Begins

My mom arrived in Sicily yesterday morning. I was incredibly excited. I saw her through the security glass and we smiled and waved. She motioned that she needed to get her luggage so we waited...and waited. Finally we noticed everyone standing around the baggage carousel moving away in a group. We waited for a few more minutes and then went to see if we could find out what was going on.

We saw my mom in line at the lost baggage counter, along with most of the other passengers on the plane. Apparently no one's luggage was loaded onto the plane. We called the airline several times yesterday and even got a friend's Italian co-worker to call for us today. The message continues to be "no news" and "call back tomorrow". Now we are at the end of day two and my mom still doesn't have her suitcase. She is getting tired of having to buy new clothes everyday.

This afternoon we decided that we were not going to put off sightseeing just because she doesn't have her suitcase. We decided to head towards Mt. Etna and see what we could see. We drove up through Nicolosi, a part of the mountain I hadn't explored until today. The drive up the mountain was gorgeous. Here are a few of the sights we saw...

Fixer-upper for sale, roof terrace has amazing view, solid foundation

Near the summit of Mt. Etna

Mom trying not to get blown off the edge of the mountain

The gondola in the distance takes tourists nearly to the top, then a short hike to the summit

Looking down on the valley

What a beautiful drive. The views were spectacular. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a clear day. I definitely have to go back and take the gondola up to the summit.

----------------
Now playing: Gotan Project - Celos
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

*s* said...

well, I'd say gorgeous pictures... (as always), but you know i love your pics :) I lol'd at the caption for the house. Hope your mom's luggage makes it. And that you guys enjoy your time together! See you later!

Trav'ler Jenn said...

Wahoo for lost luggage! Have a blast hanging with the mom. Answer my e-mail!