Saturday, March 01, 2008

Cabin Fever

I'm tired of sitting at home! (picture me stomping my foot, temper-tantrum-style here). Today Les and I were going to get out and do a bit of sightseeing, but it didn't happen. I made him stay home and sleep. He's been pushing himself way too hard. Between his music, taking two college courses, and work he's gotten himself sick (he claims its allergies, but walking just a short block should make you out of breath, should it?). He needs to get better, fast. We leave next week for Germany!

By around 4pm this afternoon I was about to go nuts. I'm tired of cleaning, doing laundry and playing solitaire on my computer. Ugh. I considered going to the gym but decided it could wait. There were still a couple of hours of daylight left and I intended to enjoy them. I woke my hubbie up long enough (he slept most of the afternoon) to tell him I was going for a drive. I grabbed my camera gear, cell phone and GPS and headed into the hills.

Finally, I felt like I could breathe! I think living in military housing can be suffocating. Sometimes I need (not just want, but need) to get out of the barbed-wire fence compound that we call home. As my car carried me up into the hills, I found a new surprise around every turn. Spring has come to Sicily. It is gorgeous! The hills are flowing with green grass and wildflowers are popping up everywhere.

The best part about my drive was that the little roads that I traveled were empty. I passed maybe three cars in the two hours or so that I was out. I pulled off to the side of the road often to snap pictures, and sometimes, when there wasn't a pullout, I just stopped in the middle of the road. As I drove my smile got bigger, my heart got lighter, and I was amazed at the beauty around me. Here are the highlights:






A herd of geep (an American term for mixed herd of goats and sheep) blocking the road.

A lot of Americans here seem annoyed by the herds of geep, cows, etc. that we share the road with but I love them. They always make me smile. Definitely not something I saw much (or any) of in California.

Yep, that is Mt. Etna in the background.









Another awesome shot with Mt. Etna in the background.

A Shepard and his herd.


2 comments:

Sheena said...

beautiful pictures! for some reason I thought you were talking about the band's show pictures. I had a brain fart. lol. I guess it was because we were talking about the show. We will definitely have to get out and do this though. Especially with spring here, the flowers are going to take over soon. It's going to be so pretty! ciao!

Valerie said...

These pictures are sooo beautiful! So awesome... I am so very jealous of you right now, especially since I have been dreaming of going to Europe with my husband... one of these days!

Considering Florida doesn't even have mountains...these pictures are really giving me a warm, fuzzy fealing.

Awesome pictures!!!