So, if you have access to Photoshop (I used CS...yes, the original CS! I have CS3 on order...just waiting for it to get here. Yes, I know. Its about time I upgraded!) here is how I tweaked it:
- Pull up a picture that you want to convert to black and white and add a bit of color to
- Go to Image - Adjustments - Desaturate
- Grab the History Brush in the tool palette (in my version of CS it is right below the paintbrush)
- Choose a brush size that isn't too small or too big. You don't want to take forever painting every pixel, but you don't want to color a larger area than you intend
- Go to Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation
- Move the Saturation slider to the left to soften the color (or to the right to make it brighter)
- Voila! You are done! Isn't that fun?