Thursday, April 10, 2008

Photography Club Homework

Our assignment for the next photography club meeting is to bring two photos, one with large depth of field, one with narrow depth of field. Here is what I have so far:

Exposure: 6.0 sec at f/36, ISO: 200
This would be an example of "large depth of field" - You can see detail and clarity on each piece of glass and ceramic. A large depth of field is indicated by the high f-stop number - f/36.

Exposure: 1/8 sec at f/5.6, ISO 200
This would be an example of "narrow depth of field". The first piece of glass is very clear and in focus and the pieces behind it are blurry. A narrow depth of field is indicated by the low f-stop number - f/5.6.

Both of these pictures were taken with a tripod. I didn't move the camera (obviously) between shots, just changed the settings on my camera. I was in AV mode (on my Canon that is Aperture priority). I didn't do any processing on either of these pictures.

4 comments:

Sheena said...

I finally figured my setting out :) Can't wait to play around with it today. I like your vase setup. The song pops into my head: One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong..." lol

anglouise said...

I lined them up so I could really see the difference in the depth of field. I like how they turned out though. The chicken pitcher adds a bit of color and interest, I think. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sheena said...

nothing special first time around, I'm afraid. lol :D I posted.

Unknown said...

Angela,
Your photos are beautiful. I bought myself a camera last year for Mother's day and have been playing with it a bit. I need to learn more about it though. I take most of my photos on "auto" and would love to learn about all the rest of the settings. Thanks for sharing.