Monday, April 26, 2010

Amazing, Beautiful, Siracusa

Saturday was supposed to be our monthly photography club field trip, and the chosen destination was Siracusa.  When we scheduled this trip I knew that not many people would be able to join me, its been a busy month for everyone.  What I did not expect was that the few people who were planning on coming would be sick.  Big time bummer!

I drove in to base to the meeting point anyway.  You never know when someone who didn't RSVP might decide to join the trip at the last minute.  No one was there so I was faced with a decision - to go home and catch up on rest and other necessary chores or go to Siracusa by myself.  I chose to take off on my own!  I had been really looking forward to spending some time in Siracusa (one of my favorite places in Sicily) and I didn't want to give it up. I ended up having a great time exploring and taking pictures.

I arrived late morning during market time...





Old doors with intricate and worn wrought iron caught my eye...




I walked the entire length of the island of Ortygia, which I'd never done before...

Fountain by Giulio Moschetti of Artemis, goddess of hunting



I want to live here....this balcony overlooks the sea as seen in the previous photo
I walked all the way to the tip of Ortygia and the 13th century Castello Maniace.  I can't believe I'd never visited this awesome place before Saturday...











After exploring the corridors and arches of the castello I grabbed a bite to eat and headed to Piazza Duomo...



A car waiting for a newlywed couple next to the duomo

The ancient Greek columns built into the side of the duomo never fail to mesmerize me
As I left Piazza duomo I noticed this amazing driveway and courtyard...


And a beautiful street performer...


I'm so glad I made the trip!  I see things differently when I am by myself.  When I'm traveling with others I am always mindful of where they are, if they are waiting on me, etc.  When I'm on my own I can go at my own pace and take as little or as much time at a site as I'd like.  It is wonderfully liberating!  I really need to make trips like this more often.

6 comments:

Tricia said...

Angela,

Your photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

I relate to your comments on traveling alone. The only thing I like better is having a companion whose presence allows you to feel alone.

I'm looking forward to my first photo club field trip next month.

Best,
Tricia

jenjen said...

Wow! Absolutely amazing photos.

And yes, I agree on the photo shoot alone. I get much more from being by myself or only with my mom (which even that changes the dynamic a little). Any one else, and I get nervous about what they're thinking.

Jennifer

Trav'ler Jenn said...

So when you move in to your new place on the sea, be ready for an old college roomie to join you! Yeozah! Gorgeous!

Catherine "Cat" Evans said...

Awesome once again....I love the b/w of the interior, the design and the lines really stand out...

Anonymous said...

Your photos are gorgeous! My husband and I are planning our first trip to Sicily - basing ourselves in Siracusa - not without my husband needing much convincing about the destination(http://bighappynothing.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/sicily-shocker/). On the list of things to do before we depart is for him to give me a new digital camera for Christmas. Any recommendations for a nice, moderately priced one? Then again, I'm thinking we could save the money, and just keep tabs on your beautiful photography!

anglouise said...

amiableamiable - Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope your trip to Sicily is fantastic. Siracusa is a fantastic place to base yourself, certainly one of my favorite Sicilian cities.

As for camera recommendations are you looking for a DSLR or a point-and-shoot? On the DSLR side the Canon T2i is a great value, perfect entry level DSLR with HD Video capability . I don't have much experience with the point-and-shoot variety but I've heard good things about the Canon G11. There are a lot of fantastic cameras out there but some things to look for in point-and-shoot cameras are optical zoom (digital zoom is bad) and optical image stabilization (again, digital image stabilization is bad). Big megapixel numbers are not nearly as important nowadays. Anything over 8 and you will be able to blow up photos quite large.

Have a fantastic trip! If you have any other questions you can reach me at anglouise@gmail.com. Ciao!