Sunday, August 15, 2010

What I want to be doing...


As my time in Sicily draws near its end I'm left wondering what I want to do with the next chapter of my life.

Pre-Sicily I worked as a freelance financial consultant and I loved it!  It was challenging and no two days were never the same.  The only downside was that it didn't challenge my creative side, but luckily I didn't work full-time and had a bit of free time to pursue creative things.

In Sicily I haven't had a J-O-B.  In addition to being a housewife I got my MBA, became a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, and dove head first into photography. I have focused much more on my creative side and have loved every minute. I've also discovered my LOVE of travel.  If I don't go somewhere new at least every couple of months I start to go stir crazy.

So where am I going with all of this?  Well, the more I think about it I would love to combine my love of photography with my love of travel.  In leading the Sigonella Photography Club I've discovered that I thoroughly enjoy helping others realize their photographic vision.  I've also led several field trips and its always fun to take people to a place that I find beautiful and interesting and then seeing how everyone sees the same place differently through their lens.

The more I think about it I'd really like to find a way to lead photography tours around the world.  I have no idea how to get a position like this, but I can't help but think a job like this would be perfect.  I would be able to see the world (and get paid for it) while helping others become better photographers.

 My intuition tells me that a job like this isn't going to fall into my lap - I'm going to have to make a name for myself as a photographer and as an instructor. I've come a long way at Sigonella: from learning how to use my camera, learning its settings and putting them to use creatively to leading the photography club and gearing up to teach my first photography classes! Now its time to dive into a much larger pond: San Diego, CA.

I have no idea where my photographic journey will take me, but I have big dreams!  If any of you, my readers, have suggestions on how to get my foot in the door as a photography tour leader please let me know.  Otherwise I think I will network, network, network when I get back to the states and then see what happens.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Sheena said...

Girl! That would be awesome! I say get paired up with a travel agent that way maybe you could work a deal together. He/She could refer people interested in photography to you, and any groups you get together would go through that travel agency. Very cool!