Sunday, October 02, 2011

Anything but Normal

I live in the neighborhood of Normal Heights. I'm often asked what makes it "normal" - I  laugh and say that my neighborhood, full of artists and a diverse range of cultures, is anything but normal.

I did a bit of research this morning to find out where my neighborhood got its name.  According to Wikipedia:
The "Normal" part of "Normal Heights" refers to the State Normal School, which is the predecessor to San Diego State University (formerly located in nearby University Heights). A normal school was a school created to train high school graduates to be teachers. Its purpose was to establish teaching standards or norms, hence its name.
Last weekend my not-so-normal neighborhood hosted the Adams Avenue Street Fair with over 70 live music acts on six stages. Adams Avenue was blocked off for several blocks for this huge event.

This week's Photo of the Week (hosted by Jessica Rogers Photography) is from last weekend's Street Fair.

For the Love of the Music
I love the expressions that I captured on the faces of these musicians - they love the music and are having a blast!

Here are a few other shots from that day:




I was fortunate to be able to walk to this awesome festival from my house! I heard some great music, took a few pictures, and enjoyed a lot of people watching. You never know what you'll find in "Normal" Heights!

No comments: