Monday, November 12, 2007

A Gorgeous Afternoon on Mt. Etna

I've been bugging Les to take a drive with me up the mountain for a couple of weeks and today was the day. My goal was to get a few good pictures of the trees changing color for the fall and soak up the cold, fresh air.

For our first stop we pulled in to a gated driveway (looked a bit like a service road) and started walking.
The start of our path


Moss growing on the lava

Les kicking leaves


Wild Fennel, I think

At the end of the path we found an old building, maybe a barn, maybe someone's home. There was a small shrine nearby.

The house or barn

The Shrine

I was enamored with this tree, so beautiful with the blue sky in the background

As we walked back up the path I noticed a few details that I missed on the way in. The hillsides below were terraced for farming, but overgrown.


What remains of the terraces

As we were walking Les picked up an acorn cap and used it to make a shrill whistle. He was surprised I didn't know how and was glad to show me.

Les blowing on his acorn whistle

The acorn cap whistle

We arrived back at the car and continued our drive up the mountain as far as the road would take us. Here are a few shots of the craters near the summit.


Les contemplating a volcanic crater

The wind was extremely strong and cold so we decided to find a bar for a warm drink.

Les near the bar overlooking the valley

Les is getting really good at taking pictures of us!

The best chamomile tea ever!

A shot of the sunset as we were getting in the car to head back down the mountain

Another sunset shot

I'm so glad we were able to get out and enjoy the natural beauty of Sicilia today. We are blessed to live in such an amazing place.

No comments: