Blueberry-Lemon Banana Bread with Cream-Cheese Glaze
From: Cooking Light Magazine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana - (about 2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the banana bread, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until mixture is well blended (about 1 minute). Add mashed banana, egg substitute, sour cream, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries and lemon rind. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool the bread 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove the bread from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare glaze, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and water, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over cooled bread.
I wasn't able to find lowfat sour cream so I used nonfat. The only egg substitute that was available was the Southwestern variety with pepers and onions (ick with banana bread) so I used one egg plus two egg whites. I also used frozen blueberries instead of fresh, I just let them defrost before using them. Finally, to keep my own portions under control I made muffins instead of a loaf of bread.
I sent some of the muffins with Les to his band rehearsal and needless to say they didn't last long. They turned out great! Yum Yum Yum!
Now playing: WGBH Radio Boston - Idil Biret plays Bach, arranged by Brahms - WGBH Classical Performance